We accept the following:
We use PayPal for our
Click HERE to find out more about PayPal.
We are always adding new items to our stocks, to view the full range
of our products
Over the coming months we plan to show case a selection of modellers photographs. You could be one of them...
Read More >>>
Home » Armour » Armour - 1/72 Scale
Sd.Kfz.231 (8 rad) - Plastic
The development of armored cars in Germany began in the late 1920s.
In the mid-1930s, when Adolf Hitler brought the Nazis to power, the
German army was quickly reorganized, and the terms of the Versailles
Treaty were progressively broken. The Blitzkrieg concept demanded close
co-operation between infantry and armored units and the role of the
armored car was very important.
Initially only light armored cars were
intended for mass production, but the army's requirements were soon
greatly extended, and as a result, new types of armored car were produced.
The Bussing NAG factory developed its own design, which received the
name ARW (Achtradwagen = eight-wheeled car). The new car had some interesting
features, like eight independently sprung wheels with both steering
systems affecting all eight wheels. It could be driven in both directions
because it had two driver positions, in the front and in the back.
The armored superstructure was attached to the frame of the chassis.
The armored body was 14.5mm thick in front and 8mm elsewhere. The first
mass-produced machines of this type received the official designation
Sd.Kfz.231 and reached units of the Panzer reconnaissance troops in
late 1937, and one year later they took part in the annexation of Czechoslovakia.
During the Blitzkrieg in 1940 these machines proved their importance
in battles in Poland, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Shortcomings
such as a lack of driver protection were improved after combat experience.
All in all the Sd.Kfz.231 was a very trustworthy vehicle.
« Previous | Next »
[ Products ] [ Gallery ] [ Search ] [ Checkout ] [ FAQ's ] [ Contact Us ]
Copyright © Mainly Military Models 2010